Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Rest of the Story


Make every effort to enter into rest." - Author of Hebrews






Yesterday Kellie, Ashleigh, and John Collins drove from Green Lake, Wisconsin to Chesterton, Indiana. The traffic through Chicago was s l o w.
Beth and Ryan drove from home so that we could meet up on Lake Michigan and watch the sunset and fireworks over the water.

On of the roads leading to the beach was covered with water. It was unsure of the wisdom of driving through it's unknown depths to get to the beach, but I motored through it regardless. It proved to look worse than it actually was.

Once on the beach, the six of us skipped stones on the water, played in the sand, enjoyed the sunset, and eventually watched the fireworks show with the Chicago skyline as a backdrop. It was so restful.

I often find rest and recreation to be elusive. I think of so many things I should be doing and get discouraged at the obstacles that arise against times of rest. I am not too busy to rest. I have to rest to do things well.

Rest is a gift for me. Recreation literally gives me a chance to be re-created and re-freshed. I read a study last week that shows the increased productivity in people who take time to recreate in their busiest times compared to those who put off recreation until the busyness wanes.

The recreation and fellowship last night was more than worth Chicago traffic and a flooded road. Rest is worth working for.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger