Monday, January 25, 2010

I saw a man not named “Pigeon” today









When I was a wide eyed sophomore at Monroe High School (back then MHS was only 10th -12th grade) I remember seeing a young man everyone called "Pigeon". He was thin, red faced, excitable and seemed to be always smiling. In fact, he seemed so happy that it made him stand out against the throngs of image conscious students (I use the term student in its loosest sense in regard to people like myself). "Pigeon" also was a remedial student that trusted just about everything anyone told him.



My first memory of him was watching the coolest table of athletic upperclassmen throwing pennies across the cafeteria during lunch and calling out for "Pigeon" to chase after it. He smiled and ran. He ran all the way to one side of the cafeteria. They guffawed and threw a penny the other direction. "Pigeon" smiled, sweated, and chased it down through hundreds of students. Those at the table high-fived and whooped it up. They threw, he ran. Repeat. Day after day.



I look back now in my memory and wonder how it is possible that I didn't intervene. It was probably a mixture of cowardice, fear, and utter selfishness. "Pigeon" however seemed unfazed by it all. I however regret my inactivity every time I think of it.



As the years went by I would see him riding his bike collecting returnable bottles around town. I would say hi to him and ask how he was doing. He was always the same, happy and kind. When I was 15 years old I worked at a party store sorting the returnable bottles. I made $2.50 an hour. It seemed that I saw "Pigeon" almost every time I worked. He would bring in bag after bag of bottles and cans. He made the same joke every time he came to the counter. If he had $9.70 in returns he would say, "$97.00 please". Then he would laugh. Same thing if he brought in $6.50, "$65.00 please" and then a giant smile. He would then get back on the bike picking up every dime people discarded. I learned that his name was William.



I always looked forward to seeing him on his bike. Then one day I saw him in a store parking lot. I am sure that he had just finished saying his joke to the cashier. He walked to an older car and drove away. I have often wondered if it was bought not only with returned recyclables but also with pennies picked up on the cafeteria floor.



I saw William today when I went to the grocery store. This time he was in a van. I said hello and enjoyed his smile and laughter. I am positive that right now that the back of his van is full of bottles and cans and that the front is full of a red face and a giant smile.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this, and... very well written, captivating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know William. Met him through my line of work at one time. He always made me sad, because I knew he was almost unquestionably going to be targeted throughout his life. Funny how your point of view shifts when you fall off the "world" bandwagon. I appreciate him and feel a sense of compassion that probably wasn't there before. As for YOU...you may (or not) have been all the things you've speculated in the way you reacted to him in H.S. but give yourself a teeny break. You were YOUNG! The man you are now thinks and TREATS him with LOVE. That's what matters! Love you..

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger