Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Jesus makes things awkward

A gregarious stranger struck up a conversation with me at a coffee house yesterday when he saw I was reading a bible. I was trying to journal and had my back turned toward him and the other patrons.  I didn't feel like talking necessarily but I was thinking about Pastor John's words on Sunday about being willing to be interrupted. I turned and tried to give him my full attention. The man wanted to know what I was writing in my journal.  I told him that I was reading the bible and if I thought that God spoke to me I would write it down.  He wanted to talk about 2012 and the rapture.  I told him that I am so overwhelmed by the radicality of Jesus' words that I spend very little time trying to figure out when He will return. I talked for a few moments about my interest in following Jesus. He then sat awkwardly silent not wanting to talk to me anymore.  It's interesting to me that it wasn't awkward for the man to talk to a total stranger, to ask that stranger what he was writing in his journal, to talk about to that stranger about eschatology based on the Mayan calendar, and to talk about the rapture (which I'm not sold on - btw).  Once I said Jesus' name it got real awkward real fast.  It was like I crossed some invisible boundary of social appropriateness.  I then wrote about what just occurred in my journal feeling pretty sure that I wouldn't be asked about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger