Friday, November 26, 2010

     This morning I read Psalm 4. My eyes were captured by the 4th verse, "You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound*." David was expressing that God gives him greater joy and fulfillment than the abundant possessions that his enemies have.
     David was and is correct. God alone has the key to my joy and fulfillment. I have tried to pick that lock with so many false substitutes but none has satisfied. It was a timely reading for me on this Black Friday so I could recognize that iPads, Kindles, flat screen tvs, and new cars will not actually meet my needs. They are not evil in themselves, they just simply can not sustain the burden of being the antidote to the neediness of my soul.
     God, today will you fill my heart with such great joy that neither the presence or absence of any thing would move me?
Amen.


*The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996 (electronic ed.) (Ps 4:7). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger