Monday, August 30, 2010

I have been a baseball fan since my early childhood, especially of the New York Yankees. Usually when native Michiganders find that out they look at me as if it I root for the witch in The Wizard of Oz (I bet she was a Red Sox fan). In elementary school I read many books about Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth and I fell in love with the great history and tradition of the Yankees (I also really enjoyed reading about Pete Rose - but who in their right mind would want to be a fan of the Reds?). As the years have gone by Beth also became a fan. In fact, for several years she could recite the Yankee's batting order.

This week Beth, Ashleigh, and I are going on vacation to New York City among other places. My birthday is approaching and Beth wants to take me to see a Yankees game as a gift. I have never been to Yankee Stadium. This is a pilgrimage of sorts to be with my own people. I am thrilled to do this and especially to get away for some R&R with both of them. If you pass by a Yankee's  game on TV look for us. We will be the ones watching a playoff team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger